Friday, June 10, 2011

Blog-a-day

I have been a major dead beat blogger. Mid-way through the Car Ride from H-E-double-hockey-sticks and I lost my momentum. I don't know where my time goes every day, but I am always surprised when it is 4pm and time to make dinner (I actually only make dinner once a week, but the 4 o'clock does surprise me daily). I will get back to the horrible car ride. And I still need to write about the mosquitoes in Madagascar and the poor little lemur named Sid. Another day. I promise.

Anyhow, Ron and I are on vacation for the next week, and since I am eating my way through Central and Northern California, I am going to blog about it.

We left early this morning- poor Kitty was all distraught. Don't worry too much, as she does have a panda keeper from the San Diego Zoo sleeping over all week. Right?

Our first stop was the 85 Degree Bakery, in Irivine. I've heard lots about it, so I decided we needed to brave the lines and check it out. It is a Taiwanese bakery, whose specialty is an 85 Degree Sea Salt Coffee drink.


It was good but kinda weird. Like a really sweet, yet salty, coffee milkshake 'ish'. I don't think I'd get it again, but it did give me a crack-like high and leave me wanting more.

I've been complaining that I haven't had a decent pastry since I left Madagascar. Odd, I know, but Madagascar was a French colony until the mid-1960s and at least in the cities, the pastries are amazing. AND, the 85 Degree Bakery KNOWS how to make pastry. I had a cherry thing (mmm), a cheesy thing, and a bun-y thingy. Light and flaky and sweet, but not too sweet, and wonderful. Ron had the pizza-y thing.


See, I liked it. Oh, and I got up at 5am and look a bit rough. I was getting up at 3am to chase lemurs, but now 8am is barely civilized.


A slight aside, but hopefully everyone there remembered, or was guilted into, washing their hands.


The 85 Degree Bakery also had a "giant butter brioche" which I thought was ridiculous at the time, but kicked myself all day for not buying. I think we will have to stop on the way back.

Oh, and the peaches in SoCal are ready for consumption. Heaven.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment